Good dental health is essential in our overall heath. Just imagine how strenuous it would be to eat without their assistance. Chewing is the first part of digestion, and our teeth play a crucial role. At Splendid Dental in the Woodlands, we encourage people to adopt lifestyle habits that can protect them from dental infections. A common disease that affects people is gum disease. Many factors can lead to the development of this disease and anyone can get it. But luckily enough, there are treatment options, for instance, a periodontal treatment that can help you manage the disease. Lovett Splendid Woodlands will help you understand the causes of gum disease and how to treat it.
Preventing Gum Disease
Some people mistakenly think that gingivitis is synonymous of gum disease, but this is not the case. Even though the two diseases affect the gums, they are not identical. Gingivitis usually precedes gum disease. It may progress slowly if you do not treat it immediately. Eventually, gingivitis becomes periodontitis.
In the early stages of developing gum disease, the bacteria in plaque begin to build up. This causes inflammation of the gums if you leave it unchecked. In addition to having swollen gums, you will notice that you bleed whenever you are brushing your teeth. At this point, your teeth will still be secure in their sockets. You will only experience occasional irritability. The damage to the tissue or bones around the teeth will still be reversible.
Gingivitis progresses into periodontitis, also known as gum disease, after a few months. The bacteria in the plaque produce toxins that break down the bones and connective tissues that hold teeth to the gum. If you don’t go for a periodontal treatment at this point, the disease will eat into the gum’s tissue causing deep pockets to develop. The more the gums deteriorate, the more the surrounding bones are also exposed to bacterial attack. With time, your gums and the bones will be so weak that they will lose their ability to anchor the teeth in position.
Prevention of Gum Disease
Periodontitis is preventable. The best way to do this is to ensure that you control the spread of plaque. Going for teeth cleaning services at least twice a year should help you with this. You can consider facilities that have special discounts and offers to make this endeavor cost-effective.
Other ways of preventing periodontitis include:
- Maintaining a balanced diet: The balanced diet will boost your body’s ability to fight infection. Additionally, the diet will help the body to repair damaged tissue
- Avoiding clenching and grinding of the teeth: This habit exerts excessive pressure on the supporting tissues. Constantly indulging in the habit will increase the rate at which the tissues wear out
- Quitting smoking: This habit increases the chances of developing periodontitis. Smoking will also lower the success rate for periodontal treatment
Brushing or flossing your teeth regularly: This sounds too obvious but many people may just be giving lip service to it
- Find healthy ways to deal with stress: Stress diminishes the strength of our immune system making us susceptible to infections
Treating Gum Disease
Our facility has treatment options that can help you restore the well-being of your gums. We also have treatment plans for cosmetic purposes or special needs depending on your preference.
Some of the treatments options include:
- Periodontics treatment plan: This treatment will help you in scaling and root planing. It will also enable you to reduce periodontal pockets and combat gum recession
- Dental implants services: The services help you to replace lost teeth. The implants will also help you to prevent bone loss by stimulating the jaw bones
- Oral surgery services: Oral surgery will help you in teeth extraction, bone grafting plus many more. The surgery can either be for functional or aesthetic reasons
- Orthodontics treatment plan: This treatment intends to help people with misaligned jaw or teeth structure. It will improve your smile
Learn More at Splendid Dental in the Woodlands
Contact Splendid Dental in the Woodlands
Gum disease is treatable! You can still overcome it by enrolling for periodontal treatment at a nearby health facility. Contact Lovett Splendid Woodlands or reach us through 832.365.4190 to know more about gum disease and get the requisite treatment. The Splendid Dental team will tend to all your needs.