An infected or inflamed tooth can cause untold discomfort when left untreated. Many people are nervous about needing a root canal until they need one. The pain of an infected tooth is so severe that people are desperate to have the procedure. It’s important to know that your natural teeth can be preserved with the proper root canal treatment performed by an endodontist at Splendid Dental Woodlands. Schedule an appointment with us for more information.
Signs That You Should Get Root Canal Treatment
It is always advisable to get treatment for any condition as soon as possible. Waiting until the last minute will lead to unneeded suffering and expenses. However, some conditions are insidious. If you have a cracked tooth or a tooth that causes discomfort, don’t ignore the pain. It might go away for a while, but it will return with a vengeance. Some signs can act as indicators of the need to see an endodontist. They include:
- An increase in the sensitivity of the teeth
- Intense pain when chewing food
- Painful gums that have darkened
- A deep cavity
- Bad breath
What Happens During Root Canal Treatment?
The procedure for getting a root canal is not as complicated as you’d imagine. The endodontist will first perform an analysis to identify the infected area. They will then drill the tooth to gain access to the area of interest. The endodontist then removes the pulp or nerve tissues that have decayed from the site.
Afterward, the dentist cleans the tooth and seals it. The procedure may sound painful because of the drilling. It is normal for patients to be anxious or even repulsed by the thought of seeking treatment. But there’s no reason to be afraid.
Local anesthesia is available to numb the pain from the process. A sedation dentist is available to prepare you for the oral surgery in case your anxiety becomes unbearable.
Recovery Period After Treatment
You’ll experience numbness of the mouth after getting a root canal. This is because of the effect of the anesthesia. It will only take a few hours before you regain sensitivity. You might also experience slight discomfort for a few days after the oral surgery. This is especially around the area where the dentist performed the root canal treatment. Your tooth will be more sensitive due to tissue inflammation arising out of the procedure. Over-counter-medication is available to ease the pain.
Root Canal Services at Splendid Dental Woodlands
Endodontists at Splendid Dental Woodlands have years of experience. For some Houston dentists, performing a root canal is a major ordeal, but we perform root canals every day. Some of our services include:
- Root canal treatment: The treatment cleans the inside of your teeth to eliminate bacterial decay. It helps ensure that you don’t lose your natural teeth.
- Oral surgery services: Oral and maxillofacial surgeons diagnose and treat multiple conditions under this module. This surgery can correct both the functional and aesthetic needs of your teeth.
- Dental crowns and bridges: Sometimes, the decay may be so severe that it leads to tooth loss. Dental crowns and bridges replace the lost teeth, which restore your smile.
- Periodontics treatment services: Bacteria can invade and infect the gums leading to gum diseases. Periodontists will diagnose and administer the correct treatment for the disease under this module.
Visit Splendid Dental Woodlands for Root Canal
Going for a root canal may be what spares you from losing your teeth completely to decay. Do not be afraid of the procedure for this process. Our endodontists are experts in this field due to their extra training and the vast experience they’ve gained from the practice. Contact Splendid Dental Woodlands via 713-587-9996 for help today.